Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Block Printing

This was one of my favorites from the art class I took. You can continue to use the stamp even after you have made a ton of copies. I think this project is pretty simple so hopefully you find it easy.

Materials:

  • Any chosen image (the simpler the better though)
  • A slab of rubber for the stamp part
  • Tools to cut the rubber
  • Ink for the prints
  • Paper to print on
  • Brushes
Steps:
  1. Draw your image on paper
  2. Transfer that image onto the block
  3. Carve the image into the block
  4. Thinly and evenly coat the block with ink
  5. Press onto paper
  6. Keep trying until you get a perfect print, or experiment with different ink colors and paper
   Like I said, I enjoyed this project a lot.. so much that I made over 30 prints. I have a large stack of bad results from either applying too much or too little ink. Once I learned the right amount, I got some nice-looking prints. I plan to frame some and put them up in my room soon. Don't get discouraged if the prints don't turn out nice at first, it takes a lot of practice to get the ink amount right. Good luck with this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment